AID India stepped forward with the initiative to provide immediate relief to marginalized communities following natural calamities. The Eureka Homes project was launched in 2016 with a vast network of dedicated volunteers to provide immediate assistance followed by long-term rehabilitation. They have sought to empower marginalized communities throughout Tamil Nadu by providing shelter to people who have been displaced from their homes.
In the years that followed, the Eureka Homes project has played a significant role in providing permanent housing and rehabilitation. People affected by the floods in 2015, Cyclone Vardah in 2016, Cyclone Gaja in 2018 as well as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic were provided permanent housing solutions by the Eureka Homes Project.
Community-Based Solutions for Disaster Relief
What started as a short-term project to provide shelter evolved into a full-fledged project that breaks the generational cycle of poverty. The initiative to build houses for those who have been displaced by natural calamities has branched out to include the overall upliftment of marginalized people.
In many villages, some old people and families live in poor conditions with make-shift roofs or in dilapidated houses. Eureka Homes provides the much-needed security and shelter for these poorest families to live with dignity.
Eureka Homes has uplifted the lives of marginalized people, not just through the reconstruction of houses. Here is a comprehensive list of holistic, community-based solutions provided to people affected by crises:
- Eureka Homes has overseen the renovation of schools and provision of nets and boats to fishermen whose livelihoods were destroyed by disasters.
- They arranged discourse with the whole village in the process of identifying the neediest families, hence giving everyone a chance.
- Each family had an active role to play in the planning and construction of their home along with the Eureka Homes personnel.
- Every home was designed with the basic amenities required for comfort with special focus given to providing heat insulation and water repellency from the rain.
- Depending on the availability of funding and support, some houses were additionally fitted with solar panels for electricity.
Formidable Impact of Eureka Homes
As part of its Eureka Homes initiative, Aid India has built a formidable presence in rural villages and towns all over Tamil Nadu. Since the time of its establishment, the Eureka Homes Project has:
- Supported 1.3L lives all over the country.
- Constructed 480 low-cost homes across Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, and Odisha.
- Provided 850 nets and 100 boats to villages for disaster relief.
- Renovated 20 schools in the villages.
Show Your Support
The need for Eureka Homes to intervene is greater than ever. With time being of the essence, the AID India team is seeking to increase the impact of the project from the current 480 houses to 1000 houses shortly.
It is to cater to this demand and to provide rehabilitation as soon as possible to those most in need that Aid India is seeking support. The generosity of the individual donations is what enables the Eureka Homes Project to make meaningful improvements.
Support the Hut to Home initiative, where Eureka Homes identifies a poor family who needs a house.
More about the project:
Gain as you Give
AID India is a registered non-profit organization. Show your support and get a 50% Tax Exemption for Indian Donations.
Play your part in building a home! Donate now.
Please contact us at +91-44-28602308 or email email@example.com for any queries you may have.